Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
This week we share a recipe from Chef La, Chicagoland Caterer and mother of 3. Chef La shares a family favorite and encourages you to have some fun with the ingredients and make it own. And of course we want to hear your feedback. See more from Chef La on Instagram @cheflacooks or here in comments.
Serves – 9 large pieces
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 25 minutes
Oven Temp – 400°F
- 1 ½ cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (save a tablespoon for garnish)
- 1¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned), drained – substitute- 1 can creamed corn for a moister cornbread
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar or ⅓ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
Make your your own.
- Option 1: 1 TBS + ½ tsp white vinegar + enough milk to measure 1 ¼ cup.
- Option 2: 1 TBS + ½ tsp lemon juice + enough milk to measure 1 ¼ cup.
Use 1 ¼ cup of plain yogurt.
The Prep Work
Preheat oven to 400°F
Grease a cast iron skillet or 9″ baking dish with vegetable oil
Place in oven while you mix all wet and dry ingredients together
Mix & Whisk
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt; mix well with a whisk until fully combined.
Add the grated cheese and chopped jalapeño as well as the corn kernels to the flour mixture(if using creamed corn add it to the wet ingredients).
Mix delicately until well coated.
In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, sugar, and eggs.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir delicately with a spoon into one consistent batter.
Pour batter into the sizzling hot skillet or baking dish
Sprinkle with reserved chopped jalapeño.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is nicely golden.
Insert and remove a toothpick into the center, if clean, it is done. If you do not have a toothpick, insert uncooked spaghetti.
Slightly Cool and Serve
– Cool for a few minutes and cut into 9 pieces.
– Serve warm, with butter.